The image below is from the music group Rain for Roots, who has a great song about another Wedding story called Wedding Banquet. You can find it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv8ojKvo1pI
The next day there was a wedding celebration in the village of Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there, and Jesus and his disciples were also invited to the celebration. The wine supply ran out during the festivities, so Jesus’ mother told him, “They have no more wine.”
“Dear woman, that’s not our problem,” Jesus replied. “My time has not yet come.” But his mother told the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.”
Standing nearby were six stone water jars, used for Jewish ceremonial washing. Each could hold twenty to thirty gallons. Jesus told the servants, “Fill the jars with water.” When the jars had been filled, he said, “Now dip some out, and take it to the master of ceremonies.” So the servants followed his instructions.
When the master of ceremonies tasted the water that was now wine, not knowing where it had come from (though, of course, the servants knew), he called the bridegroom over. “A host always serves the best wine first,” he said. “Then, when everyone has had a lot to drink, he brings out the less expensive wine. But you have kept the best until now!”
This miraculous sign at Cana in Galilee was the first time Jesus revealed his glory. And his disciples believed in him.
DISCUSS (from the Family Bible Devotional):
- Why do you think Jesus’ mother told him there was no more wine at the wedding?
- What’s your favorite treat at a party? How would you feel if that treat was all gone before you got some?
- How would you feel if suddenly there were more of your favorite kind of treat, a ton of it, and it was the best kind of treat ever?
- Why do you think the people tell this story of Jesus? It is the first miracle Jesus ever performs. What does it tell us about Jesus?
- Why do you think it matters that Jesus saved the best wine until the end of the wedding? What does this tell us about who he is?
- Is there anything that confuses you about this story? Now is a great time to ask!
- Water Color – Find the watercolors and a piece of paper in your Sacred Spaces box, and fill a cup with water. Use the paintbrush and try to paint only with the water. Now add color to your painting!
- Make a Watercolor Postcard and send it to someone in your family or our church community: Decorate the watercolor postcard in your box (or cut out your own) and write a note. Send it to someone you think could use a note of love! You can use the church directory on the www.ucw.org website or ask Pastor Amy for a recommendation!
- Make a Toast! At dinner tonight, fill everyone’s glasses with something yummy to drink, and remember this story and how God has provided good things for you, and how you can share God’s goodness with others!
PRAY: Go around your family and share one thing you are grateful for; and at least one thing or person you would like to remember in prayer this week. This week we had the elections. Pray a special prayer this week for our leaders, and for peace in our country and world.