This image is from the music group Rain for Roots, who has another great song about this scripture passage, called Do Not worry. You can find it on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbbGjx4ZKL8
READ: Matthew 6:25-34
“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
“And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ Don’t be like the people who run after all these things… your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
- What does it mean that life is more than food, and the body is more than clothes?
- What are some things that are worrying you this week? Why is it hard not to worry sometimes?
- What helps you when you worry?
- Who are the people in your life who love you no matter what you look like or what you do?
- Look at the Birds and Flowers, Grass and Trees: Take a walk, or look out your window, and notice the beauty of God’s creation. How many colors do you see? God’s creation is so beautiful, and you are beautiful too!
- Bird Cut-out: Add beautiful colors to your bird! If you want, cut a slit and fold paper like in this picture to make a wing. (Bird outline and paper for the wing are included). Hang your bird in a window or somewhere in your home to remember God’s love for all creation – you included!
PRAY: Go around your family and share one thing you are grateful for; and at least one thing or person you would like to remember in prayer this week. Give thanks for something beautiful.