Friday, February 3, 2023
Sunday, February 5 at 10:00 a.m. (Hybrid)
What's Possible? We will continue to joyfully engage with our stewardship theme of "What's Possible" in this special Communion Sunday. Pastor Wendy will preach as we remember how Jesus calls us to both be the salt of the earth, and the light of the world.
Zoom Link: HERE|
Meeting ID: 826 8730 1128
Dial in only: 1 646 558 8656
The bulletin is available HERE|
What’s Possible Potluck Dinner
This Sunday at 6:00 p.m.
At The Home of Kevin Johnson and Linda Lynch in Waban|
Gather, connect, dream, eat, enjoy each other - that’s the whole agenda. No pitches, asks or heavy lifting- just connection. Hosted at the Johnson Lynch home.|
Kids from 1 – 99 are welcome! Sign up HERE
Further Opportunities to Gather this Week!
Choose one or choose them all! Union Church is gathering outside of worship three times this week and you are wanted.|
- What’s Possible dinner- This Sunday, February 5 at 6:00 p.m. - see detail above
- Mission Visioning Dinner- Wednesday, February 8 at 6:30 p.m.
Converse about values, dreams, vision for our outreach and mission-minded ways. This gathering dinner will also take place at the home of home of Kevin Johnson and Linda Lynch. RSVP HERE.
- Nicaragua Bake Sale! Drop-Off Saturday, February 11; Sale on Sunday during worship and lunch, February 12. We'll raise funds for supplies and food for children in Nicaragua. You can help by donating or purchasing baked goods, or joining the youth to bake on Saturday between 1-3pm in the UCW kitchen. Please be in touch with Jane Purser for details ([email protected]).
- Congregational Conversation Lunch - Sunday February 12 at 11:15 a.m.
Listen, wonder, ask questions, connect about the present day for Union Church. Just show up, no RSVP needed.
Council Report from February Meeting
The Church Council met on February 1 and discussed the following topics:|
- Supporting opportunities for the whole congregation to reconnect with each other and the church, the Council will extend personal invites to the congregation to attend the many opportunities this week.
- Responded to the Search Committee on questions they raised about ministerial compensation flexibility.
- Formed a subgroup to develop a budget proposal for Council to consider at the March Council meeting.
- Heard an update from the Governance Task Team.
February 12 at 10 00 a.m. (In-Person & Online)
Nicaragua Bake Sale for Youth and PJs & Pancakes for Children |
We will join in worship together as we remember how God works to grow the seeds we plant and water. Our Nicaragua Service Team will be blessed for their upcoming trip. During worship, our Youth Group will lead a bake sale for our Nicaragua ministries and younger children will prepare for Valentine’s Day and the season of Lent. Children are invited to come in PJs! Childcare and special activities will be available after lunch during the Congregational Conversation. |
Help Plan the Future for Mission Programs at UCW!
WHEN? Wednesday, February 8 from 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
WHERE? At The Home of Kevin Johnson and Linda Lynch
131 Windsor Road in Waban
At a time of transition, the future of Mission Programming at UCW is ours to shape.
Come one, come all to share your thoughts (over a dinner)!!|
- What do we want Mission to do and to be?
- How can we design mission activities so they work for more of us and help more people?
- What do we prioritize? What are our strengths that we draw on to have impact?
- How much is too much, too little, & just the right amount to take on?
Whether you’ve run many mission programs or
are not sure what it really means,
we want to hear from you!
All-Church Gatherings & Adult Formation
Wednesday, Feb. 15 at 6:30 p.m.
In person at the Union Church.|
Wellspring is our women's ministry at UCW. We come together to support each other as we journey together in these times. If you are interested in learning more about Wellspring, please contact Amy McMahon at [email protected].|
Next Book Group
Tuesday, February 28 at 7:30 p.m. (zoom)
The Flight Portfolio by Julie Orringer|
Please join us on February 28 at 7:30 p.m. for our next book group meeting. Our book will be “The Flight Portfolio” by Julie Orringer. |
You will find a zoom link and sign-in information below. If you have any questions, please reach out to Alan Cody ([email protected]).
Zoom Link: HERE
Meeting ID: 832 4667 4155
Dial in: 1 646 558 8656
Children Youth and Families
Children and Sundays this Winter
We are excited to begin this New Year together with faith and joy, and have a wonderful month planned for our kids on Sundays. We hope you and yours will join us!|
- Sunday, February 12 - PJs, Lenten Art and Valentine's Day This is going to be a special Sunday in the life of our church -- If you can only make it one Sunday in February, we hope this will be the weekend! Kids will gather a special breakfast - come in PJ's if you want! - along with art projects for Valentine's Day, and Lent.
- After Worship on February 12 - All-Church Council Lunch and Kids' ActivitiesAt 11am, everyone is invited to gather downstairs in the church for a special lunch and gathering (done in time for the Super Bowl!). Please come, even if you can't make it to worship. Childcare and special activities for the kids will continue!
Youth Team Calendar - A Great Winter and Spring Coming Up!
The Youth Team is busy at work on the calendar for the Youth Groups and Exploring Our Faith for January through June, and we hope to send it to families by early next week. We are planning opportunities for gathering, faith formation, and service, and would for you to be part of this meaningful and joyful ministry! A few highlights include: |
- Feb 11-12 - Nicaragua Bake Sale: We'll gather to prepare on Saturday at 1pm, and then set up the Bake Sale during worship on Sunday, Feb 12th. We hope all Middle and High School Youth (and anyone else who likes baking!) will participate. All money gathered will go directly to purchase food and supplies for the children of Nicaragua during our visit over February break.
Advocates for Racial Justice (ARJ)
“For at the heart of racism is the idea that a man is not a man, that a person is not a person. You are human beings. You are men. You deserve dignity.” |
Newton Freedge: Volunteers Needed
Click the signup link below for time slots available.
Our team of volunteers helps keep Freedge running one Saturday a month. Please use the the link below, or reach out to Vinita Leslie, Karen O'Beirne or Erika Pond to learn more or to join our team.|
Despite Newton’s image as an affluent suburb, too many of our neighbors struggle to put food on their tables. The Newton Freedge is one way we can help. A free, 24/7 outdoor refrigerator and pantry, the Freedge provides free food and personal supplies to anyone who needs them. |
Sunday Reception Sign-Up
Every Sunday after worship we gather on the stage for a time of fellowship. This reception is hosted each Sunday by different members of the congregation. |
Reception Sign-up: HERE Thank you!
Scripture Reader Sign-Up
If you are joining our Sunday worship, please consider signing up as a Scripture Reader for any of our upcoming services.|
Scripture Reader Sign-up: HERE Thank you!
Pastoral Care Connections
During this time of transition, please know that your church is here for you. Please don't hesitate to reach out to Pastors Wendy or Amy for prayer or pastoral support:|
Mondays are days off for both pastors. Pastor Amy also serves off-site on Thursdays, and may not be immediately available on that day. |
We, the members of The Union Church in Waban, true to our founding principle of being an inclusive church, covenant together to nourish and to sustain in our common life and practice a fully welcoming and affirming church for all persons. Welcoming all persons who seek to join with us in a commitment to love God and our neighbors, affirming the inclusive love of Jesus, we are open to all, without regard to race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, nationality, ability or economic circumstance. We invite all to full participation in our worship, membership, leadership and life of this church.|