Union Church of Waban Seeks Paid Sunday School Teachers
The Union Church in Waban (www.ucw.org) seeks four enthusiastic, warm, innovative, and spiritually grounded individuals with a call for ministering to children and youth to serve as Lead Sunday School Teachers.
Located in a village of Newton, MA on the MBTA Green Line, The Union Church is an inclusive, interdenominational Protestant congregation that also welcomes many interfaith families. We are experiencing growth through our ministries and outreach to families.
Under the supervision of the Director of Children’s and Youth Ministries, Lead Teachers will work with a team of volunteers in an assigned class for the school year. Lead Teachers should possess a love for teaching and learning, as well as the ability to motivate young people and their families toward a deeper and more vibrant faith in God as they develop their relationship with Christ.
- Prepare and teach Sunday School classes, using provided curriculum
- Communicate with the Director of Children’s and Youth ministries about Sunday School class, curriculum, and children’s learning needs
- Communicate with volunteer teachers about teaching plans
- Communicate with parents about class goals, projects and children’s needs
- With the Christian Education Team and the Director, help children connect their faith to justice and compassionate action through service opportunities
- Attend monthly staff meetings, Back-to-Sunday-School Night, and occasional other meetings as necessary
Terms of Employment
- Approximately 3 hours per week for 22 weeks per year, September 2015-June 2016
- Hours are flexible, with the exception of Sunday, 9:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m.
- Compensation is $100.00 per week
- Individual must be 21 years of age
- Employment is conditional upon passing the CORI check
Please send cover letter and resume to [email protected] or mail to the Union Church in Waban, 14 Collins Rd. Waban, MA 02468.
Position: Soprano or Mezzo soprano Section Leader/Assistant to Music Director
Reports to Music Director, Bill Merrill
Music is an integral and much valued part of the worship experience at the Union Church in Waban. Singing in the choir provides an opportunity for the congregation to grow spiritually as they share in fellowship with others in the choir and offer beautiful music to glorify God and as a loving gift to all who gather for worship. The Union Church is looking to find ways in enrich our Sunday morning music program through increased participation of the congregation as a whole and in the development and enrichment of the choir through the engendering of increased enthusiasm and participation.
The Union Church in Waban is seeking a skilled singer/musician on a part-time basis to help us reach these goals. This is an excellent opportunity for someone looking to explore a possible career as a church musician to work with a great core of volunteers making up the choir and led by a skilled and capable music director.
We would anticipate the job requiring a time commitment of between 10 and 12 hours a month for 10 months, with additional hours required at Christmas and Easter time.
- Strong vocal skills and ability to sing solos and either soprano or alto choral parts.
- Excellent musicianship
- Enthusiastic leader who is ready and willing to work with the choir in learning music and building confidence in singing in the choir and encouraging increased congregational participation in the choir;
- Ability to sing repertoire from broad range of musical styles, i.e., classical, gospel, and contemporary praise.
- Proficiency on the piano
- Previous church choral experience and /or knowledge of basic church repertoire helpful.
- Attend choir rehearsals twice a month and participate in Sunday services two to three times a month.
- Assist music director with communication with the choir and congregation and consult with music director on selection of repertoire (2hrs/month);
- Sing solos when requested (approximately once every 4-6 weeks) and mentor volunteer singers on occasion;
- Assist director in augmenting choir at Christmas and Easter.
- Fill in on occasion when the music director is away including leading choir in rehearsal and leadership of all musical offerings during the service.
Compensation would be a combination of an hourly rate and specified amounts for rehearsal and worship services, but rather expectation is that the position will pay between $400-$500 per month depending on experience.