BEC Remote Teacher’s Assistant
What is it?
The BEC Remote Teacher’s Assistant volunteering opportunity is for anybody ages 15+ who is interested in assisting a teacher with his/her classroom via Zoom. Volunteers join the synchronous Zoom sessions that teachers run with their classes at least once a week. They can help teachers with a range of needs, including tutoring students in small groups.
What are some ways you can help?
Teachers may need help with:
- Tutoring: Teachers may send volunteers to breakout rooms with students who may need extra help with the following subjects (Math, Reading, Social Studies, English Language Arts (ELA), Science)
- Zoom: Teachers might appreciate help monitoring students entering Zoom sessions, monitoring student interactions during lessons, helping with screen sharing, and creating breakout rooms.
- Creative Skills: If you have specific skills (e.g. art/ music) teachers can incorporate that into the curriculum.
- Connecting with guardians/parents: Some teachers may need help from volunteers to connect with parents/guardians regarding feedback, announcements/notifications, technical help, etc.
- Tutoring Special Needs or ELL students: Some teachers may need help from those who have experience with special needs or English Language Learner (ELL) students. They may assign volunteers to one or more students in a separate breakout room so that volunteers have the opportunity to give them the one on one attention that is needed.
- English Language Learner (ELL): simply refers to students who are not currently proficient as English speakers and are in the process of developing their English language skills
- Technical Skills: Helping students & families learn technical skills; how to log into zoom, computer skills, log into programs, etc.
When can you help?
School hours can vary but most run between 8:30am-4:00pm. For those who cannot help during those times can help assist students in before or after school programs with BEC network partners.
Level of Commitment Requested:
- minimum 1-2 hour/week for 3 months
- September 2020 – June 2021 (full school year)
- Full school year commitment is not mandatory; only recommended
Steps to Sign Up:
- Fill out our Interest Form:
- Based on your preferences, you will be matched by BEC with a school & teacher. Any questions, please email [email protected]
- After we get back to you, we will ask you to fill out the CORI and NDA:
- What is CORI? CORI stands for Criminal Offender Record Information. You will have a CORI record if you have ever been charged with a crime in a Massachusetts court. Your CORI report is a list of your criminal charges. It includes all cases even if you were found not guilty or the case was dismissed. CORI checks are mandated by Boston Public Schools for all staff and volunteers who work with students.
- If you are ready to fill out the form, click here
- Once you filled out the CORI and received a confirmation email, please inform [email protected]
- What is NDA? A NDA is a non-disclosure agreement. Because volunteers are working with minors, they must sign a non-disclosure agreement to protect the privacy of students and families while on Zoom and other online learning platforms.
- All volunteers will be required to attend an interview, orientation and training.
- We will schedule an interview, orientation and training so you can learn about the school you will be working with and be equipped to assist the class. We will also include a cultural compassion training component.
- Throughout the semester, BEC staff will reach out to volunteers and check in with volunteers for feedback and questions/ concerns they may have.
Upcoming Short Info Sessions:
Every Tuesday night through Dec. 15th, 8:30-9:00 PM
Every Wednesday morning through Dec. 16th, 8:30-9:00 AM