Common Cathedral is an outdoor congregation that seeks to bridge the gap between housed and unhoused people in and around Boston. The Union Church in Waban has partnered with Common Cathedral and participated in the church’s ministries for many years, including:
- BostonWarm Shelter and Weekly Sandwich-making during the Pandemic: Since the start of the pandemic, we have delivered sandwiches, and other food and supplies, multiple times each month to the BostonWarm shelter at Emmanuel Episcopal Church on Newbury Street. To sign up for our weekly BostonWarm sandwich deliveries, you can use this google-doc.
- Donations of Clothing, Food, and Art Supplies: We regularly collect and deliver needed items to the downtown day-shelter. Items that are always needed include: new socks and men’s underwear, granola bars, large bins of coffee, and handwarmers (in winter). We also organize seasonal collections of winter coats and clothing.
- Sunday Worship: At least once a year, we join the Common Cathedral congregation for lunch (which we make and bring) and worship on Boston Common.
- CityReach: Our high school youth group participates annually in this impactful overnight program, learning from and serving with members of the Common Cathedral community. This program was paused during the beginning of the pandemic, but continues with new Covid protocols.
- CommonArt: We support this program with donations of supplies, and have also hosted art shows at our church.
For more information on Common Cathedral, visit commoncathedral.org.
To learn how you can get involved with this ministry, please contact: Pastor Amy Clark Feldman