READ: Hebrews 12:1-2 (NIV)
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith.
- Think of an activity that is important to you, and that requires you to practice to get better (e.g. creating art, playing a sport, learning a school subject, gardening, building). Who supports you in your learning and doing? Who serves as an example for you, and inspires you in this activity? What do they teach you?
- In this passage, what is “the race?” Who is in the ‘great cloud of witnesses’ who have run the race before us and surround us?
- Who has been an example for you in your faith life? Who has shown you God’s love, and shown you how to share God’s love with others? Are there people in your family, your church, other places in your life? Are there people you are remembering today that have gone from this life to live with God? What have they taught you? How have they inspired you?
- How can you be a ‘saint’ for others?
- Is there anything about this passage that confuses you? Now is a great time to ask!
- Gratitude Chains –Find the fall-colored paper in your Sacred Spaces box. Some are already cut into strips, and you can cut more. Throughout the month until Thanksgiving, add links to your gratitude chain, writing one thing or person for which you are grateful on each paper and then stapling or taping them together. TODAY – Because it is All Saints Sunday, begin by naming the people you are grateful for.
- All November – Clothing Collection: All November, we will be collecting new and gently used clothes for one of our partners (Common Cathedral or Cradles to Crayons). Clothes for children and youth are especially appreciated for Cradles to Crayons, and warm clothes and boots for winter are in great need for all. Our siblings at Common Cathedral are adults who often live or spend significant time outdoors, and so clothing, coats, boots and blankets suited to outdoors are especially welcome.
PRAY: Go around and share one thing you are grateful for; and at least one thing or person you would like to remember in prayer this week. Spend some extra time giving thanks for all the saints in your life.